Sunday 13 December 2015

Books, books, books...

  
As we’re hurtling towards the end of the year, I thought I’d write a post about some of the terrific books I’ve read this year.

When I was a child, one of my favourite books was one I inherited from my sister called The Girls’ Book of Heroines. I don’t have many books that I’ve kept from childhood, but that is one of them. I used to read it over and over and still have an occasional dip.

This year Debbie Blake’s, Daughters of Ireland: Pioneering Irish Women was published by The History Press. I treated myself to the paperback and oh my! I planned to dip in and out over time, but ended up reading it cover to cover over several days. I had the same feeling reading that as I did my sister's heroines book, this sense of discovery about amazing women, but in much more depth of course.



I found myself reading bits out to my husband. A truly inspirational and eye-opening read about fascinating women. As a footnote you can find out more about #Distractingly Sexy  posted by female scientists on Twitter.

Most recent book read was Milly Johnson’s Afternoon Tea at the Sunflower Café. Another one I couldn’t put down. I love Milly’s books and have enjoyed every one, but I think this is her best yet.

Here is a list of some of the other books I’ve read and enjoyed (I'm too lazy to write reviews, but you can check them out on Amazon and "Look inside"). There are more, but I can’t get to my notebook where I write down every book I read as it is buried under a pile of presents so I’ve had to rely on my memory (not very good as I know I’ve read far more than this). I’ve put links to the books on Amazon and Author blogs/websites where known.

A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler



Not A Drop To Drink by Patsy Collins (You can also find Patsy at Womagwriter)



Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (And it's going to be on screen! Can't wait!)











I’m always on the lookout for book recommendations, so if anyone has any ideas, I’d be grateful!

Update on Dusty. Four weeks now since his op and we have at last dispensed with the lampshade. Next week he goes for his first hydrotherapy session – as he loves swimming I’m hoping he’ll enjoy it! It will be nice for him to have a change of scene. He’s getting very bored and regularly empties my paper recycling bin for me!




And in other news, while I am sleeping downstairs with Dusty, someone else has taken over my side of the bed. I just hope she moves over and gives me some room when I can finally go back to my bed!




28 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and am reading the sequel now, After You, which is looking good. I seem to have been struggling to find a book that will grip me just lately so thanks for your list. Glad Dusty is on the mend, but I think it's time you reclaimed your side of the bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie, I shall have a look!

      I broke the news to the grandchildren that I would probably be sleeping downstairs on Christmas Eve and I've had strict instructions to keep my eyes shut so I don't scare Santa off xx

      Delete
    2. A good excuse to eat the mince pie and drink the sherry!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the mention, Teresa!

    I agree A Thousand Splendid Suns is an excellent book. I'm looking forward to reading the King's Curse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fabulous to see this lovely picture of Dusty without his lampshade and with such a gorgeous, cheeky expression on his face!

    It's fascinating to see some of the books you have read, Teresa. I also love Elizabeth is Missing, The Birds, The Bees and Other Secrets, A Spool of Blue Thread, Short Story Secrets and Edwin's Baby. And I would love to read A Thousand Splendid Suns, which is on my teetering pile of books-in-waiting.

    Thank you so much for the very kind mention of TDTL and for all the support you have given me, which means so much and is deeply appreciated.

    I hope you can eventually have your side of the bed back, but she does look so cute there! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very cheeky - and feeling better I think as he keeps trying to jump up which is nerve wracking! I'm looking forward to your next book xx

      Delete
  4. I've already read quite a few on your list, but the Irish Women sound fascinating. I'll see if it's in the library. Most recently I read Little Women once again, and enjoyed it as much as ever.

    Hope the hydrotherapy goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth a read, Joanne. The stories in there are so inspirational and interesting. I loved Little Women - there's one I really would like to read again xx

      Delete
  5. A really eclectic mix, Teresa! My book of the year has to be George Eliot's Middlemarch. Made to read it at school, I decided to revisit it, and thought it quite magnificent. I really think it's the greatest English novel of all (well, in my opinion...). But far too long for silly schoolgirls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Middlemarch so will have a look. I tried to read Wuthering Heights a couple of years ago having hated it at school - but found I still didn't like it xx

      Delete
    2. I've only just noticed you included one of mine. Thank you, Teresa! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
    3. It was a pleasure, Frances xx

      Delete
  6. You say you like Frances' book 'The Birds and the Bees' - have you read her first book, Dead Earnest? It's one of my favourites. I also loved Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed I have, Wendy! I don't think I've read any Louise Doughty though - another for my list, thank you xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Teresa,

    That's quite the list of books. These days, it seems, in between bouts of exhaustion, I spend more time reading delightful blogs like yours instead of reading books :)

    Penny took over my bed ages ago. I think I've been consigned to the sofa bed!

    Take care, Teresa.

    Gary x :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to concentrate on reading when you are feeling as you do, Gary and quite understandable.
      Aw Penny! As pet owners, we have to know our place don't we :-) xx

      Delete
  8. I love seeing other people's lists of books and always find something new from them! Hope Dusty continues to improve and that you all have a lovely Christmas, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary - I hope you have a lovely Christmas too xx

      Delete
  9. Thank you Teresa. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be reading it again, Deb :-) xx

      Delete
  10. What an interesting list, Teresa. Will have to check out the book about Irish women. It's so easy to overlook inspiring non-fiction. And the one on short stories sounds good too. The best book I've read this year is Firehead by Venero Armanno. I interviewed him for Writers' Forum and he seemed so interesting I decided to read one of his books. The writing is pure gold. Also discovered Mitch Albom and Thich Nhat Hanh.
    Good for you, sleeping downstairs. Our dogs are worth it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those recommendations, Glynis. I'll look them up! At this rate I'll be sorted for reading for 2016!

      And this reminded me of another excellent book I read this year - I've added yours to the list. Don't know how I forgot it as it is on the shelf next to my desk :-)

      I do keep telling myself he's worth it, even when we're out on a "slow" walk and he's trying to pull my arms out of their sockets :-) xx

      Delete
  11. You could try Easy Money for Writers and Wannabes by Maggie Cobbett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keith - another one to look out for :-) xx

      Delete
  12. A good list, Teresa.

    Pleased to see Dusty is improving steadily, and I hope you get your side of the bed back. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol - I had a go on a real bed the other evening and it reminded me of what I was missing so I moved quickly :-) xx

      Delete